Maya's Reviews > Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life

Made from Scratch by Jenna Woginrich

Apr 20, 09

Read in April, 2009

The book is light, but infectious. Jenna Woginrich is so excited about all the self-sufficient and sustainable aspects of her life that you absolutely want to join her.

As a child my parents raised chickens and rabbits, and the occasional other animal (a duck, a flock of turkeys--turkey eggs have such a thick inner sac you have to cut it with a knife, but they are BIG). I loved it. I love fresh eggs, and I liked hunting around the yard for them. We raised big New Zealand rabbits, meat rabbits, and I really like rabbit meat. I did actually help with the slaughtering, and I continue to believe that if you are going to eat meat you should be knowledgeable and comfortable about the fact that an animal did have to die for you to do so.

Woginrich isn't eating any meat but she eats eggs, wishes she could have harvested some honey, and spins her angora rabbits' fur. She also gardens (another thing I love), knits and is a serious thifter.

This is a fun and easy read and you may find yourself perusing some chick catalogs once you finish it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Made from Scratch.