Ann's Reviews > The Street of a Thousand Blossoms

The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama

F_50x66
Apr 20, 09

Read in April, 2009

This was my "light" book as I also read the Kingsolver non-fiction. I had never read any of this author before -- but may seek out some more of her books. She reminds me of Amy Tan - but blending the old and new and telling of ancient traditions in Japanese families/culture rather then Chinese.

The story spans about 30 years and follows the lives of 2 orphaned boys who are raised by their loving and traditional grandparents. You hear about the cruelty and deprivation duirng the 2nd world war, American occupation of Japan and finally the boys following their dreams -- Yoshio to become a champion sumo wrestler and Kenji to become a traditional mask maker for the Noh theater. (I learnt far more about these traditions than I could ever imagine!)

It also focuses on the dreams they have and losses these "boys" endure and yet manage to survive.(thanks to the grandparents and also to some of the people they encounter on their life's journey.)

Its is a good read -- not great literature -- but the story carries you along and involves you throughout.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Street of a Thousand Blossoms.