Heather's Reviews > The Big Sleep

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

May 09, 09

Read in May, 2009

I'm on a kick of trying to read LA-centric books, so tackling some Raymond Chandler was at the top of the list. Good to get to read some classic, fundamental noir. It was decent; a little amusingly over dramatic in some places, a little hard to follow in others. But that is likely because I listened to it, and it was easy (easier than with others) to zone out a bit with this one.

HOWEVER, reader-wise it was great. Elliot Gould was the reader and thank God for him. I think there should be a law against anyone but established actors doing book readings because they are just so much better. He was great, and really allowed me to get first-hand experience of this much-adapted genre. Now I really understand what all the Guy Noir Garrison Keillor and all the other detective noir take offs are all about, which is fantastic.

The hilarious, ever-present descriptions of the details of people ('her eyes looked like the glint of a gun just before it goes off'), the women relentlessly throwing themselves at him, marlow's strong ethic despite all his temptation and his ability to walk the line in such a seedy world.

I probably am not going to rush to the store to read more Phillip Marlow stories, but it was v good to finally experience it first-hand.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Sleep.

Miss Karen Jean Martinson This is one of the few books where I would say you HAVE to see the movie (if you haven't already). It's amazing. Bogie & Bacall. The best.

When screenzilla's fixed, we'll do a double feature. Gateway Arch and Big Sleep.

Heather Miss Karen Jean wrote: "This is one of the few books where I would say you HAVE to see the movie (if you haven't already). It's amazing. Bogie & Bacall. The best.

When screenzilla's fixed, we'll do a double feature. ..."

When screenzilla's fixed, we'll do a double feature. ..."

it's a date.