Patty's Reviews > Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession

Called Out of Darkness by Anne Rice

F_50x66
Apr 19, 09

Read in April, 2009

Anne Rice recalls the sights and sounds of the Catholicism of her youth with such vivid images that I was singing "Tan tum ergo, sacramentum..." along with her. Warning: If you aren't a 50 something Catholic, (or recovering Catholic) you might not "get it".

I completed the book in a weekend and was fascinated by how Anne Rice describes her inner landscape and how her conversion experience has changed everything for her. She makes a strong case for the power of art and music and truth. She surrenders to beauty and love, and finds herself loving a perfect God and an imperfect church.

With the wash of memories unleashed by this book, I recalled a "May crowning ceremony" where at age 7 and wearing my white communion dress, I was happily the third "Hail Mary" in the human rosary. The prayers concluded as one very lucky 8th grade girl was selected to place a crown of flowers on the statue of the "Queen of Heaven". How I longed to play that special role! But alas, Vatican II happened sometime between my second and eighth grade year, and much pageantry ended. Anne's memoir prompts a longing for all manner of Santos and torches and song.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Called Out of Darkness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I love books that call up such strong and vivid memories of childhood. Even those of us who didn't grow up Catholic will probably appreciate the spiritual journey she describes. Thanks for making me aware of this book, and for giving me a small glimpse of your childhood! Fun!