Sophie's Reviews > The Lifeboat

F 50x66
Feb 11, 13

bookshelves: 2013
Read in February, 2013

This book was so close to deserving five stars from me, as it was fascinating, thrilling, and I simply couldn't put it down, finishing it within 24 hours of buying it. The only thing that held it back from 5 stars was how incredibly frustrating it was. I understand that the unreliability of the narrator was a plot device and its one I adore in movies, but when it comes to books, especially those set in a historical time, I prefer all the ends to be neatly tied up. I don't enjoy having a narrator who skips over things to preserve a good opinion, or who muses on snatches of conversation between other passengers, but never finds out the answers. While to book was incredible, and so psychologically real, I was left with the same feeling I get when someone turns off a great movie right at the climax. The last few chapters, which I had expected to answer all the questions posed throughout the novel, simply furthered the fact that Grace is a most unreliable narrator, whether through the effects of shock, or in my opinion to manipulate. The book was very real, for in life you rarely get all the answers to philosophical, psychological or practical questions, but because life is like that, I kinda like my books to tie up all the lose ends, just for something different and that the lifeboat certainly did not do. Its now been a few weeks since I finished reading this and I am still thinking back on it almost daily, so despite the frustration it was a truly brilliant book, and I look forward to reading anything else Rogan writes.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.