Kate's Reviews > Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe

Neither Here nor There by Bill Bryson

Sep 16, 07

bookshelves: travel
Read in January, 2007

I really wish I loved this book, but I just don't. Everyone is always telling me how great Bill Bryson is, I love the cover design, but I find the man to be quite egotistical and whiney.

There are many good laughs and interesting locals throughout the book, most of which are related to his memories of travels as a younger man. In the present story though, Bryson spends his time the same way in every single city: walks, eats, gets drunk, sleeps, complains about how it isn't as good as America. I'm sure he's a great guy in person and everyone has their cranky moments while traveling, but I don't want to read a whole book about some supposedly intellectual and funny guy being cranky all over europe and ripping on the locals in every town. After traveling the whole of Europe with him, this gets pretty damn old.

If you want a good travel book, there seem to be several out there and I would definitely skip over this one in your quest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neither Here nor There.