Sps's Reviews > The Crimson Petal and the White

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, story, not-portable
Read from August 13 to 23, 2011

Snob that I am, I don't enjoy a book when it's clear that I am smarter than the author. Let us be peers, at the very least, but I prefer my authors to be polymaths and superbrains.

Dickensian only in the sense of melodrama, but Dickens does it so well, so endearingly. Whereas here I felt sort of titillated-at, like the book flashed me its unwashed private parts and expected me to find it sexy. Kind of the same feeling as Telex from Cuba.

Antequam legeret:
Highly recommended from Booklist & PW--"gorgeous," "epic," "Dickensian," "absorbing."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crimson Petal and the White.

08/19/2011 page 646
08/20/2011 page 745
83.0% ""Sugar breathes shallowly, biliously, in her tight dress...""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally (last edited Aug 06, 2009 10:30PM) (new)

Sally In preparing for my book group discussion of Black Swan Green by the British novelist David Mitchell, I read in an interview that Mitchell admires Michel Faber, and he named this novel in particular. I tend to be put off by books of such length (almost 900 pages), but this does sound interesting. Let me know what you think about it, if you get to reading it anytime soon! (Reading some of the reader reviews on GoodReads shows a wildly disparate view of the book!)

message 2: by Korin (new)

Korin McGinty I remember reading that. I felt that it dragged a lot and I wanted to like it more than I actually did but it was okay.