Scotchneat's Reviews > Snow Crash

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Nov 28, 09

bookshelves: dark-professions, outcasts, esoterica, sci-fi-fantasy, top-10-ish
Read in November, 2009

Just read this book again, and still give it 5 stars. Definitely, in my opinion, Stephenson's best book. Maybe because it's before he got a little too into the intellectual masturbation.

Hero Protagonist is a hacker and a post-modern samurai delivery pizza. In this version of the USA, the topography is a patchwork of warring compounds, jacked-in barbies and kens, cultural mafias and mega-burbs that are the natural evolution of today's gated communities.

That is some of the brilliance of this novel. As with any great author, Stephenson looked around him and extrapolated the logical end of what the society already has.

Hero is also big in the Metaverse - and this novel is one of the first where we have a verse (as in virtual world) fully realized. Along with Gibson's settings, it really drives all of the modern tropes we have for it.

And with YT, the 15 year-old Kourier who save's Hero's ass from some grave consequences of the "30 minutes of free" rule, we have a prototype for the sassy girl heroine.

Oh, and there's a big Aleut, and he's carrying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Crash.