Joanie's Reviews > Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Jul 20, 09

bookshelves: bookclub, south-shore-readers, from-the-library, summer-challenge
Read in July, 2009

This book was good but definitely hard to take-not that most books on the Holocaust aren't but this one focused more on kids which is what made it harder for me. The book focuses on a lesser known aspect of the Holocaust that took place in France-a round up of thousands of Jewish families at the request of the German government. The book goes back and forth between 1942 and the present day and traces the story of a girl who was caught in the round up and a woman who is researching an article for the 60th anniversary of the event. I really liked it up until the very end when it became contrived and annoying-still overall a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.

07/15/2009 page 42
07/16/2009 page 132
44.9% "This book is good but hard to take"
07/20/2009 page 304
100% 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cookiesue9x My Husband and Daughter read this it is in my bedside stack

message 2: by Danine (new)

Danine Everyone seems to be reading this book this summer.

Joanie It's funny how that happens. I think it was on the specials table at Borders-that could be why.

Jenni I am with you on the ending,I found it too contrived and predictable. But I did like the historical aspect and I too found that part difficult and hard to imagine what people were capable of doing.

Joanie It's true Jenni. Not that I ever expect a book about the Holocaust to be light but the story line of what happened to the brother with the separation of the families just made it so hard to take.