Mariel's Reviews > A Girl of the Limberlost

A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter

Sep 05, 10

Recommended to Mariel by: pnin me like a moth
Recommended for: sting like a moth

I got this as a random find on ten cent day for my local library's book sale in 2009. It was okay at first, if outdated in all sensibilities. The naturist parts were interesting. It was funny how the girl treasured the wild that was increasingly (back then even?) encroached on by society, yet she collected those rare moths to be stuck with pins (!) for profit so that she could join the society she was kept away from by her uncaring mother. Guess she wasn't too sad about it, after all. Her mother would not sell their acreage that would provide the money for the life her daughter needed, out of spite (her husband had been sleeping around when he died). That seemed at odds, to me. Or maybe it was just me saddened by how much was already lost. I mean, those woods and moths were her only friends for her whole life. Shouldn't it mean something?
I did not buy her mother's change of heart so much either. My cynical mind suspects she didn't want to be left alone, and had things stayed the same as always, they would have stayed the same. Then the story lost all interest for me when the love interest rolls into town. But that's what the author herself did: got married. That wasn't good enough reason for the same to occur in this story. Stuff just happens, I guess mostly autobiographical, in the stuff just happened storytelling way. It'd probably make a "good" Hallmark film.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl of the Limberlost.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mariel Awwwww my "first" gr review. *nostalgic*

message 2: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal First review!? And two stars? You were born under a bad sign.

Mariel Nah my first was probably Beatles. First in the stream of five hundred plus.