Seizure Romero's Reviews > The Overnight

The Overnight by Ramsey Campbell

Jul 17, 08

bookshelves: zzzzznrk, horror
Read in January, 2007

I've taken dumps that were more frightening than this book.

I've worked in bookstores: new, used, independent and big-ass chain stores. You want scary? Write about the incompetence rife in Barnes & McNoble's management. I've been out of there for more than a decade & I still twitch sometimes late at night (and occasionally over daiquiris in the afternoon). The horror...

Hold me.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Overnight.

Books Ring Mah Bell I've taken dumps that were more frightening than this book.

What the hell are you eating, Seizure?

I'm not holding you until I can confirm your bowels are under control.

Seizure Romero Why did I know that you were going to be the first to respond when I wrote that? What Ima tryne to say: not a scary book. There is more cause for fear in using the can after that fat guy in the sales department who seems to feed only on cheesesteaks. Speaking of fear, my sphincter is in top condition, so let's snuggle. Or are you implying that there's something wrong with my regular diet of chips, salsa, fish tacos & sangria?

message 3: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin Love the review!!lol! I have taken frigthening dumps!!!!

Books Ring Mah Bell You know me too well, Seizure!
;)

I hope you get the number one reviewer spot for talking turds.

message 5: by Kasia (new)

Kasia S. I dont think that a book has to be crap your pants scary in order to be a good read, I just started it and it seems not bad so far.

Seizure Romero Kasia wrote: "I dont think that a book has to be crap your pants scary in order to be a good read...."

I agree, Kasia. That was just my juvenile way of summing up my disappointment. It's been a few years since I read it, but I remember feeling this book failed to impress on almost every level. The sad part is that I've got a long history in the book business (I'm typing this from my friend's used book shop) and I was really looking forward to a creepy bookshop read; alas, it was not to be. Maybe you'll get more out of it than I did.

message 7: by Kasia (new)

Kasia S. Seizure Romero wrote: "Kasia wrote: "I dont think that a book has to be crap your pants scary in order to be a good read...."

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, I had a long day when I wrote it. I get disappointed by books too, sometimes it takes time to understand the other person's perspective. I started reading it but put it away for a bit as the reviews weren't favorable, perhaps its better than it seems, will see :) thank you for your comment, I love books and anything bookstore/book related, looking forward to more of your reviews.

Seizure Romero Please, don't apologize; you were quite civil and I'm not the least bit offended. In any case, some of my reviews are quite juvenile. I write them that way on purpose. It makes up for the fun I didn't have reading the book.

message 9: by Kasia (new)

Kasia S. You are awesome, thank you for all the comments, Goodreads is beyond addictive but its the melange of people who supplement the reading that make it so special :)!

message 10: by Antonio (new)

Antonio Vasquez Do tell more. I want to work in a B&N.

Seizure Romero Antonio wrote: "Do tell more. I want to work in a B&N."

I don't know how you feel about chain stores v. independent businesses, but there's a reason why I call them Barnes & McNoble. Quantity over quality. Incompetent management, low pay, minimal benefits.... The regional director showed up at our store & gave a pep talk about putting other stores out of business. I think they rely on the desire of people who love books to work in a bookstore, even under crappy conditions. They are the 900 lb. asshole gorilla of the book world.

Barnes & Noble paid "almost $70 million in lease payments for office space, warehouses and bookstores owned by entities in which the Riggio family has majority or minority interest," it said.
(from http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/...)

There was questionable corporate behavior back when I worked there (early 90s), but I have neither the time nor inclination to look it up.

I believe you vote with your dollars & your time. Work for an independent bookshop or a public library instead.