J.M.'s Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Jul 02, 2009

bookshelves: keepers, young-adult, speculative-fiction
Read in June, 2007 , read count: 4

Ah, the book that started it all. I came to the Harry Potter series late, I'll admit ~ it was a YA book and I was already out of college when it was first published. But my best friend from high school brought a copy by one evening and was like, "You should read this. It's pretty good." So I gave it a try.

And immediately went out and bought the other three books that were available then.

The first book holds a special place in my heart. It's the book that started it all, and I've reread it each time another in the series was released. I love the characters and how we're introduced to each in turn. While there are parts of the book that aren't well-written (I have to silence my inner editor every time I reread it), Rowling is a great storyteller and weaves a world of enchantment that easily captivates me each and every time I revisit it.

My favorite part of the first book is the way Harry, Ron, and Hermione become friends. One of my favorite lines from any of the books is in this one: "There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them." A wonderful start to a great series that has changed the face of literature forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.