Andrew's Reviews > The Mormon Mirage: A Former Member Looks at the Mormon Church Today

The Mormon Mirage by Latayne C. Scott

Apr 19, 09

Read in April, 2009

Latayne C. Scott is a scholar of both Mormonism and Christianity with a heart for sharing her Christian faith with her former church, the Latter-day Saints. This book is a detailed challenge to Mormon doctrine that exposes its historical, archaeological and scientific inacurracies. It is also a well-reasoned argument for Biblical Christianity.

Here are a few excerpts:

“It wasn’t easy to leave. I owed, and still owe, The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its members a great debt of gratitude...
But [now:] I am regarded by them as a traitor and an apostate. I left Mormonism after tasting some of its sweetest fruits. “ (17)

"...I believe that someone who has not lived a doctrine has no ground to criticize it – just as grade-school science student cannot reasonable speak with authority on nuclear physics. I lived Mormonism; I loved it – and I left it." (19)

“The greatest battles a cult can wage over the soul of the ignorant person, I believe, are already won when the proselyte is too lazy, or afraid, or unwilling to see a more correct interpretation of Scripture passage that is presented to teach a supposedly “new” doctrine. We have nothing to fear but ourselves when we ignore the admonition to “search the Scriptures.” (26)

Disclaimer: I work for this publisher. I still believe it's an excellent book, but if you're reading this and you don't know me personally, I thought it fair to mention that. Blessings, AR.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mormon Mirage.