Angie's Reviews > The Maze of Bones

The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan

Apr 18, 2009

Read in April, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze of Bones.

04/19/2009 page 20
9.09% "I like this book so far... neat how the reader is involved!"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn I hope you continue to enjoy it! Do you find the reader involvement continues to enhance the story, or does it get a little tedious at times?

Angie Have you read the book yet? The reader involvement is less then I thought. I guess that just occurs on the internet.. I thought the idea was interesting though when I first started the book. But I am still really enjoying it!

message 3: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Angie wrote: "Have you read the book yet? The reader involvement is less then I thought. I guess that just occurs on the internet.. I thought the idea was interesting though when I first started the book. But ..."

I haven't read it yet. I thought it was a really neat idea, but then I got concerned that maybe it was too much of a "gimmick." Still, I don't want to miss out if it's good and I know the authors they have for the series are good. I've planned to read it, just it's not top on my list yet. Glad you are enjoyed it! :-)

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann I just finished it and quite enjoyed it! Yeah, I was surprised that you could pretty much just read it straight through if you wanted, but I did enjoy trying to decipher the codes along with the kids.

I realized there are a few "clues" (I guess) from the cards on the first book, so if you want I can share them with you since you didn't get the cards with the library edition. (that is, provided I've solved them correctly ;=> )

Angie Oh yea I would love for you to share them with me!!!

message 6: by Ann (last edited Aug 29, 2011 06:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann ***SPOILERS***

Okay sure! :)

So, so far, the one's I've decoded are as follows:

"The Titanic"
White Stare Line
RMS Titanic

The card lists several names, three of which are circled. A "note" is clipped to it saying "One of these three is the Cahill. Did she Scramble her name?"

Nella Chain
Bertha Chambers
Gladys Cherry

(if you unscramble one of them, you'll get the name of a Cahill).

The next card is a "Break the Letter Code" type clue.

It goes like this:

20-1-7! 25-15-21 1-18-5 9-20.
20-8-9-19 9-19 1
19-21-18-22-5-9-12-12-1-14-3-5 2-21-7.
20-15 13-15-14-9-20-15-18
15-20-8-5-18 3-1-8-9-12-12-19,
pass the bug on.

Once you figure out the letter code, there's *another* clue actually IN the book (I thought this was pretty cool ;> )

Personally, I'm a wee-bit obsessed with page counts, otherwise I probably never would have noticed it, but after page 128 the numbers are "wrong". Page 128 turns to page "1" (which, is in a dark background as well, instead of a light one). So, I finally figured out that the numbers must be some sort of code, too. Here's what they are:

1-14-14-5
3-1-8-9-12-12
4-9-4
14-15-20
4-18-15-23-14

Neither of these clues really mean much to me (at this point) but I'm sure they will down the road.

Enjoy! And if I get the clues in the next book, I'll be sure to "pass the bug along" then too :D

Angie I wish this came with the library book. They are probably afraid someone will steal the cards out. I wonder if the library edition is cheaper too? Thanks. Keep me informed as you move along in the series!

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Angie wrote: "I wish this came with the library book. They are probably afraid someone will steal the cards out. I wonder if the library edition is cheaper too? Thanks. Keep me informed as you move along in ..."

My pleasure! :) I tried to sign-up for the online stuff last night, but it was too indepth for my brain function at the time, so I'll have to look at it again today ;D
(I don't think you have to own a book to sign-up, which is nice at least).

Was the library book hardcover or paperback? I do imagine you're right about the theft issues... too bad.

Angie It was hardback. And it says on the top library edition.

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Oh... well, then, probably it never came with the cards. How sad!!!!
I've been trying to find paperback editions, but I don't really think they exist unless I buy the box set...:-\