Amanda's Reviews > X-Men: Gambit, Vol. 1 - House of Cards

Mar 07, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: comics, blog
Read on March 29, 2012

Looking for a little non-X excitement, Remy LeBeau returns to Louisiana, lured by a job that he can't resist and a longing for home. Hired by the beautiful Lili Penrose to steal a deck of cards from her own uncle, Gambit takes on the heist as much for the excitement as for the payoff. However, he learns too late that there's nothing ordinary about this deck of cards--they're a powerful set of tarot cards that can tap into dark powers and blind those who look upon them. Of course, for Gambit, the added element of danger makes this an irresistible challenge.

I'm going with 3.5 stars here. It is a fun story, but there were a few disappointments along the way--first and foremost of which is the art. The characters look somewhat cartoonish and malformed, which is made all the more obvious when compared with the amazing cover work done by Greg Land. I also think the story should have taken advantage of the New Orleans setting. Oh, there's some stereotypical New Orleans-ish references here, but they're flat and unoriginal. It would have been nice to see Gambit's scoundrel side played up a bit more, too. While there are some witty quips here and there, he certainly doesn't read like the same cavalier, devil-may-care Gambit that I'm accustomed to.

There are some fun elements to the story, however. When Gambit and Wolverine rout several well known thief watering holes, I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off of my face. In addition, a sex tape featuring an encounter between Lili and Remy surfaces toward the end of the book, and promises to make for some interesting reading in Gambit: Hath No Fury.

Cross posted at This Insignificant Cinder
21 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read X-Men.

message 1: by Mara (last edited Mar 08, 2014 06:12AM) (new)

Mara "Who am I? Cypher? The gayest X-Man?"
"I don’t know. Gambit looks like he knows his way about a pair of-"

I am to Archer references what Pam is to gossip- it's like a disease!

Amanda Mara wrote: ""Who am I? Cypher? The gayest X-Man?"
"I don’t know. Gambit looks like he knows his way about a pair of-"

Oh, God. I'd forgotten about that episode! I need to go back and relive Pam and Archer's trip to the Vatican.

message 3: by Mara (new)

Mara Amanda wrote: "Mara wrote: ""Who am I? Cypher? The gayest X-Man?"
"I don’t know. Gambit looks like he knows his way about a pair of-"

Oh, God. I'd forgotten about that episode! I need to go back and relive Pam..."

Available on Netflix as of yesterday!