Adrianna's Reviews > Swallowing Darkness

bookshelves: fantasy, in-eureka
Recommended to Adrianna by: Shelli
Recommended for: Adult Women
Read from April 18 to 23, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 1

It is extremely difficult to write a review for a book without incorporating spoilers for those who have not read the entire series. However, I am determined to do my best because Meredith Gentry novels deserve to find a home on many new readers' bookshelves. Of course, I recommend starting with the first in the series, A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry, #1), but future readers should note that Swallowing Darkness (Meredith Gentry, #7) surpasses all the previous books in the Gentry saga.

Hamilton proved she could blend multiple genres with A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry, #1). She continues that tradition with this recent title, which has action, adventure, fantasy, romance, lore, death, sex, and a strong, independent heroine.

The most important aspect of this book is Merry Gentry. It is rare to find such an unique woman in a series and still remember her months after reading the books. Her strength of character, as well as the strength of her magic, make her a compelling protagonist. In addition, Merry has an entourage of male supporting characters who accentuate her nobility and dedication to love. Even though there are many that Merry loves and shares herself with, the reader feels the sincerity in the relationship between each person. Merry's guards cannot be forgotten because Hamilton has a gift at creating unique men who are kings in their own right.

In this specific book, the reader deals with the aftermaths of rape, the early stages of pregnancy, multiple deaths, the wild chase of the hunt, and further development in Merry's relationship with Sholto, Doyle, and the Goblin Twins (to name a few individuals). Despite the intense issues Merry has to deal with, she remains poised, resolved, and strong. No one can break her spirit, and I only wish that more women in the real world could be this assured of their self-worth.

The world of faerie that Hamilton creates is one in which the goddess reigns supreme. This book ends on a high note as some of Merry's foes from earlier in the series are finally destroyed. After all, Merry can only play the diplomat to a point. Once the life of her unborn children and lovers are threatened, she plays to kill.

The book, like most in the series, has an intense pace. By the time readers reach the end, they will beg for more, especially after Merry's final decision. What will be the fate of Merry, her twins and lovers, and the Seelie and Unseelie courts? Fans will just have to wait for the next installment of a truly unforgettable and captivating series: Divine Misdemeanors A Novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swallowing Darkness.

04/18/2009 page 55
15.07% "I love the Merry Gentry series! I waited a long time to read this book since it was first released. So far, it is not disappointing me!"