Michael's Reviews > Judgment Day

2099671
Apr 18, 09

bookshelves: graphic-novels, review
Read in January, 2003

Even super heroes can be held to account. I suppose that is the surface premise of this series of comics by the great imagineer Alan Moore. For me though I found the way the story was told more fascinating than the story itself. As a whodunit trial story it's fairly easy to guess before the end of chapter one who the murderer is but like so many have said before me, with Moore's scripts it's the journey rather than the destination that satisfies the most. Moore manages to weave the art of writing for comic books within the very threads of the plot itself; from the market forces and trends of a comic book industry dominated by the traditional super hero, to the stretches that writers will attempt to break free of the stereotypes while still retaining there jobs via the saleability of their work. It's very clever, very simple, very funny and above all very enjoyable. The art from Rob Liefield and a host of others is great too. The collected book is a superb tribute to the late great Gil Kane.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Judgment Day.