Cindi's Reviews > The Children of Noisy Village

The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren

Apr 27, 09

bookshelves: series, 2009, family, historical-fiction, humor
Read in April, 2009

Sheer delight. Seriously. I'm not sure when I've read a children's book that was so delightful. I found this book in "A Landscape with Dragons." The author called it the Little House on the Prairie of Sweden.

I had to keep stopping to read sections to whoever in my family would listen to me. See for yourself:

Mommy says she can't understand why it takes more than twice as long to walk home as it does to walk to school. I don't understand it either. But it just can't be helped.

As we were walking along, Britta took her book out of her schoolbag and smelled it. She let all of us smell it. New books smell so good that you can tell how much fun it's going to be to read them.

The day after we baked the ginger snaps was fun too, for then we went to the forest to cut the Christmas trees. All the fathers go along when we cut the Christmas trees--and all the children too, of course. the mothers have to stay at home and cook, poor things!

Then there was nothing to do but WAIT. Karl said that times like those hours in the afternoon of Christmas Eve, when you don't do anything but wait and wait, are the kind of things people get gray hairs from. We waited and waited and waited, and from time to time I went to the mirror to see if I had any gray hairs yet.

I feel sorry for all people who have never rowed out on a lake at four in the morning and picked up crayfish traps.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children of Noisy Village.

dateDown_arrow    newest »