Em's Reviews > Inkspell

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

Apr 18, 2009

liked it

** spoiler alert ** I actually enjoyed this book sooo much better than the first one. It's actually a 3.5, maybe even a four. I thought it flowed much better, the plot and suspense were much better as well. I was glad to finally get to hear more about Dustfinger and his life. He is one of my favorite characters and I had to admire the author for actually killing him off, since he is such a favorite character (although I think he will be back in the third book).
There were a couple things that I didn't like in the book. First, she threw in a bit more language in this book. Language in books doesn't really bother me, but when you are targeting children to read the book, I don't think swear words are appropriate.
It also threw me to find out that Meggie was only 13. I had imagined her older, especially when she gets into a very grown-up relationship with Farid. Maybe having never had a boyfriend until college I don't understand kid love, but to consider staying in a dream world, leaving your family and loved ones, to stay with a boy, all when you're 13 is a little bit crazy to me. She should have made Meggie older.
I did think her writing was much better. I didn't feel quite the translation gap like I did in the first book. I also thought the plot was a lot more stimulating. I really didn't want to put it down at a few parts. So all in all, much better than the first and it actually made me want to read the third.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkspell.

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky that is interesting. maybe I will pick it up too. I have it but was so unimpressed with the first but if you liked the second better I will give it a try.