Josiah's Reviews > The Great Gilly Hopkins

The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson

1914201
Sep 06, 2009

Katherine Paterson, a year after writing her classic, "Bridge to Terabithia", once again blew my mind and amazed me with this book.
The feeling in The Great Gilly Hopkins is just so stark and so easy to identify with, and the sharp mind of Gilly herself brings her situations into clear and germane focus.
Her situation may be somewhat unusual, but the feelings that Gilly has can be understood by anyone, and these feelings are available in both abundance and quality to the reader. I don't know if I have ever read more wonderfully heartening material than the interactions between Gilly and William Earnest, and in turn each one of Gilly's relationships was special in a totally unique way.
The Great Gilly Hopkins made me laugh out loud and brought me to tears; it echoed within my heart and soul and grounded me with its uncompromising reality.
1979 was a loaded Newbery year, with Robin McKinley's "Beauty" and Ellen Raskin's "The Westing Game" in the mix, in addition to this book. I loved "The Westing Game", and gave it five stars here on Goodreads, but my Newbery Medal for that year would have gone to The Great Gilly Hopkins.
Inspiring and wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gilly Hopkins.

09/12 marked as: read