Eric's Reviews > Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour: An Introduction

Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour by J.D. Salinger

Oct 01, 07

bookshelves: modern
Recommended for: people who really like J. D. Salinger.
Read in September, 2007

Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters is an excellent short story that follows Buddy Glass on the day of his brother Seymour's wedding. The characters are compelling, you get to know them intimately in the brief time that you have with them, and the story reveals a little more about the inner workings of the Glass family along the way.

Seymour, An Introduction is for those who take an almost voyeuristic pleasure in knowing everything there is to know about the glass family. The story is not well written, in fact, I think, it may have been (and I very well could be wrong) an attempt by the author to see how many parenthetical statements (which are not usually considered good writing, you know, less is more) he can squeeze into a single sentence. You get the idea? There is very little that could be called a plot; the story has no linear direction whatsoever, and yet it still has its moments.

In short, I am quite glad to have read this book as I can now say that I have read everything that Mr. Salinger has chosen to publish. Roof Beam was fabulous, and Seymour, while quite awkward was an interesting experiment, and had its moments. If you too have already read everything else J. D. Salinger has written, and you still want to know more about the Glass family, then go ahead and pick it up at your own risk.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour.