Emily's Reviews > The Diana Chronicles

The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown

Sep 05, 07

Read in August, 2007

I picked up this book because I was on vacation, and I thought it would be one of those fun guilty pleasure type reads. It was recommended to me by my mother, who is a reference librarian and likes non-fiction.
Well, it turned out to be a guilty pleasure, yes, but more pleasurable than I expected and less guilty. Sure, it's a bit voyeuristic, but it's also well-written, well-researched, sympathetic, human, and sometimes just really funny. When Charles attended a Live Aid concert in a blue suit and called it "some pop music jamboree that my wife made me go to," I howled. My entire family spent about an hour laughing over that one.
But actually, after reading this book, I liked Prince Charles a lot better than I ever had before. After all, who can blame the man for having an affair with the woman he loved and wanted to marry in the first place? (and did, eventually.) Diana emerges from these pages as slightly less heroic, but much more human and likeable than ever before. I thught so, anyway. I know many would disagree.
I suppose people must be hungering to see the humanity in the British Royal Family after all- first the Queen, now this. Both books about the very human, sorta screwed up Royal family. And both really quite good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diana Chronicles.