Robin's Reviews > The Crying Tree

Dec 26, 09

bookshelves: book-group-worthy, best-of-2009
Read in June, 2009

Even though I have alredy sent this, I am updating for my Best of 2009 list:

Unbeknownst to her family, Irene starts corresponding with her son’s murderer waiting on death row and is devastated when notified of an execution date even though the rest of the family is ecstatic. This is an amazing first novel by a Silverton, Oregon author and perfect for book groups.

More from previous review:
After a move from Illinois to central Oregon, Irene and Nate’s teen son, Shep, is killed by what appears to be a random burglar. Devastated by the loss, they feel some redemption when the killer is found and housed on Oregon State Penitentiary’s death row. Years later they have returned to Illinois, but unbeknownst to her family, Irene begins corresponding with Shep’s killer and they become friends. Then the news arrives that he has finally received an execution date...

This was an amazing book and will definitely be on my list of the best books of 2009. Even though this read at a breakneck pace, I never felt that any content was sacrificed for character development and the resolution of the many conflicts. Definitely one for book groups as this novel has it all: love, forgiveness, family bonds, redemption, and the highly discussable subject of capital punishment. The author is from Silverton, Oregon, and the Salem settings are very well done and accurate (I hate skewed geography!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crying Tree.

06/15/2009 page 100
28.33% "I am having a difficult time putting this down. The author is from Silverton, OR, and this book will be a good one for book groups."