Julia's Reviews > Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Apr 18, 2009

bookshelves: historical-fiction, contemporary-fiction
Read from March 14 to 16, 2010

Please read the stars as four and a half.
I really, really enjoyed this historical novel. Jacob is studying at Cornell to be a veterinarian when his parents are killed in a traffic accident. He goes home to Norwich (He spends very little time here, but because of this book I will consciously read novels set in Upstate New York this year.) where he finds out his parents mortgaged everything for his education. He walks, hops a freight, only to find out it’s a circus train and he becomes a vet to a run-down circus and eventually, keeper and trainer for an elephant. It’s 1931. Meanwhile, the story is also framed by Jacob as a 93 year old in a nursing home.
It's a great and grand also little sweet story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda i almost got this. r u liking it so far

message 2: by Julia (last edited Mar 14, 2010 04:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julia In this case "currently reading," means 'decided to read, but haven't even opened yet.'

So, yes!

(It's on my TBR shelf for nearly a year...)

Julia Please read my stars as four and a half.
I really, really enjoyed this historical novel. Jacob is studying at Cornell to be a veterinarian when his parents are killed in a traffic accident. He goes home to Norwich (He spends very little time here, but because of this book I will read consciously read novels set in Upstate New York this year.) where he finds out his parents mortgaged everything for his education. He walks, hops a freight, only to find out it’s a circus train and he becomes a vet to a run-down circus and eventually, keeper and trainer for an elephant. It’s 1931. Meanwhile, the story is also framed by Jacob as a 93 year old in a nursing home.