Paul's Reviews > Fatherland

Fatherland by Robert Harris

Apr 18, 09

Read in April, 2009

This is a counterfactual novel, set in the Greater German Reich 20 years after Germany won World War II in 1946. President Kennedy (Joseph, John's father) is president of the U.S. and Hitler is still the Fuhrer (no umlaut available here). Charles Lindbergh is the U.S. ambassador to Germany. The book is a convincing thriller, and I found it compelling.

The presence of Lindbergh as ambassador was no surprise, really; he was the U.S. president in Philip Roth's "The Plot Against America." A convenient pro-German, real life American hero.

I had previously read and enjoyed Hariss's "Imperium" (fictional life of Cicero) and his "Pompeii" (fictional story of the eruption in 79 A.D). I enjoyed those as well, and Harris is on my "read more" list of authors.

"Fatherland" was Harris's first published novel (1992) and there are some rough edges (easily forgivable) of a sort that do not appear in "Imperium" or "Pompeii."

The author, Robert, should not be confused with Thomas, who writes grisly horror novels, Hannibal Lecter and all that.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fatherland.