Janni's Reviews > The Rainbow Fish

The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

Apr 18, 09

A chilling tale about a young fish who learns that no one will ever like him--until he gives up the thing that makes him unique and becomes just like everyone else.

Of a genre with The Giving Tree and the stalker classic Love You Forever.
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rainbow Fish.

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Janni, your comment made me laugh!

Aleisa Love this review and your mention of the two other "beloved classics" that creep me out! :)

message 3: by Janni (new) - added it

Janni Yes! Three books that read as way more creepy than heartwarming to me!

message 4: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Bach Totally agree. I get that Rainbow Fish is supposed to be about sharing, but it also (mistakenly?) sends a message about needint to conform. No wonder kids nowdays are so messed up.

You know what else is creepy? The Little Prince. Character gets in a toxic relationship, runs away, wants to run back, and commits suicide. Real cheerful.

message 5: by Janni (new) - added it

Janni Heh. And yet I love The Little Prince as much as I hate the others. Maybe because it's as much about the narrator as about the prince?

message 6: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Bach Maybe it had something to do with being forced to read it for school. Being told "Read the book or fail the class" always take away the enjoyment of reading for some reason...

message 7: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I immediately thought of the Giving Tree when I read this book. The message seems to be give up who you are to please others. Rainbow fish looks like the victim at the end having conformed in order to be accepted.

Laura Lewis I think I'm starting to read too many of these reviews. I'm laughing more and more at just how horribly twisted people are digesting stories these days XD