Yvensong's Reviews > The Kraken Wakes

2035613
May 30, 09

bookshelves: science-fiction, bookcrossing
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

This story begins with strange red lights in the sky that crash into the ocean depths. It slowly builds into a frightening account, as seen through the eyes of a radio scriptwriter and his wife, of unseen invaders bent on conquering.

As with other Wyndham novels, several issues are exposed, some of which seem almost prophetic. What would we do if we can no longer practice world commerce in the manner that we do now? How does the media handle the truth? If there was a real threat, would the governments hide it from us “for our own good”? When we see an issue that may have a real consequence on our planet, will we become complacent until it's too late?

Wyndham deftly explores these questions while weaving a tale of the personal lives of our hero and heroine with the tragic consequences of not taking the early signs of invasion seriously. There are brief and occasional efforts to end the threat, but nothing substantial. Nor is there a substantial drive to find real resolution, since most the people effected by the invaders are “not us”.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kraken Wakes.

04/17/2009 page 26
05/01/2009 page 88
36.67% "Starts out slow." 3 comments
05/03/2009 page 103
42.92% "...the bottom had dropped out of the shipping market,the price of many foodstuffs had doubled,..."
05/05/2009 page 121
50.42% "Something is rising from the seas, but what?"
05/06/2009 page 144
60.0% "The aliens are among us, and they are unfriendly!"
show 5 hidden updates…