Mounica's Reviews > Cheaper by the Dozen

Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth Jr.

Apr 19, 09

bookshelves: classics, luuvvved-it
Read in April, 2009

I loved it. It's nothing like the movie. Except the fact that the family has a dozen kids. And, I assure you the book is much better than the movie... which is the case almost always.

Anyway, it's about a father, who is an motion-efficiency expert, and the mother and their kids. There isn't much of a main plot in the book, but instead contains a bunch of (very funny) incidents of the family (that makes you burst out laughing every time--guaranteed). And, something that's really cool is that it's a TRUE story written by two of the children! Which makes the book even better! :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cheaper by the Dozen.

Quotes Mounica Liked

Frank B. Gilbreth Jr.
“Dad himself used to tell a story about one time when Mother went off to fill a lecture engagement and left him in charge at home. When Mother returned, she asked him if everything had run smoothly.
Didn't have any trouble except with that one over there,' he replied. 'But a spanking brought him into line.'
Mother could handle any crisis without losing her composure.
That's not one of ours, dear,' she said. 'He belongs next door.”
tags: humor

Frank B. Gilbreth Jr.
“Dad took moving pictures of us children washing dishes, so that he could figure out how we could reduce our motions and thus hurry through the task. Irregular jobs, such as painting the back porch or removing a stump from the front lawn, were awarded on a low-bid basis. Each child who wanted extra pocket money submitted a sealed bid saying what he would do the job for. The lowest bidder got the contract.”

Frank B. Gilbreth Jr.
“I give nightly praise to my Maker that I never cast a ballot to bring that lazy, disreputable, ill-tempered beast into what was once my home. I'm glad that I had the courage to go on record as opposing that illegitimate, shameless flea-bag that now shares my bed and board. You abstainer, you!”

04/17/2009 page 20
8.93% "OMG, this book is hilarious :D"
show 1 hidden update…