Becky's Reviews > The Complete Maus

The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman

May 08, 09

bookshelves: graphic-novels, ww2, 2009, dystopias, reviewed, bad-shit-and-atrocities
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in May, 2009

I am always fascinated when I read survivors' accounts of the Holocaust. It amazes me that people could be put through such terror and pain and misery, and still not lose hope of something better tomorrow.

Maus really shows that aspect of the story. Art Spiegelman recounts his father's ordeal in unique form, a comic. While he's at it, he also examines his own relationship with his father, and his parent's relationship with each other, and the differences between a single generation that can be caused by surviving one horrific, but ongoing and traumatizing event. Spiegelman shows with shocking clarity how people who did not experience the Holocaust can never fully understand it's horrors. Even the son of a Holocaust survivor is not able to see anything near the full scope of this tragedy until he writes it down for others to experience.

Please, read this. Everyone should.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Maus.

05/06/2009 page 1
show 3 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kandice Brady and I are reading this. Well, I've read it before, but we are reading them again. It's a graphic novel, but oh, it hurts your heart! I would never suggest it to Jeane. She gets so sad. It's told in a very matter of fact way.

Fiona I've heard this is very good and I'd like to... actually wonder if they have it in the library... maybe but not yet I have so many library books coming through thanks to you madam K!

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon after schindlers im wanting to read what it was like to be an ordinary German living through the war too, what did it feel like, and what was it like when they lost the war, ive hear the allies were barbaric to them - what if you just happened to be born in Germany in that time

Becky Jon wrote: "after schindlers im wanting to read what it was like to be an ordinary German living through the war too, what did it feel like, and what was it like when they lost the war, ive hear the allies wer..."

Jon, you should read The Book Thief. It's told from the perspective of a young German girl during the war. It may not be exactly what you're looking for after just reading Schindler's List, but it's very good and beautiful and everything!! *push push*

JG (The Introverted Reader) Another good one (but not quite as good as The Book Thief) is Skeletons at the Feast. It's told from the point of view of Germans, Jews, a Scottish soldier. It very much shows the shades of gray that everyone lived with, rather than painting everything in the sharp black & white, good & evil that we usually see/read.

Great review, Becky. I'm adding this to my list.

Becky Thanks JG! I'll be adding Skeletons to my TBR. :)