Tracy's Reviews > The Book of Air and Shadows

May 02, 09

bookshelves: for-fun
Recommended for: see above
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

big sigh...this took me a long time to read and not just because it is 469 pages. I liked it okay, but it didn't keep me interested enough to pull an all nighter. I did appreciate Gruber's writing. Very well-written. The concept of the story was interesting; I didn't even mind the chiphered letters in middle English. However -
For the most part, the characters alienated me. Although, the male characters were fairly realistic, they weren't likable. The main character, Mishkin, is an a**. Sorry, no other words fit. Gruber suffers from the madonna/whore syndrome. The female characters demonstrated slutty behavior, with the exception of Mishkin's ex-wife who was referred to as a saint no less fewer than 5 times. I didn't mind the gratuitous sex scenes as much as other reviewers, but for the love of Pete, make them real!
I guess if you are going to be sitting by the pool this summer and you don't mind ridiculously one-dimensional female characters, then get this book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Air and Shadows.