Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Eleanor and Park

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Feb 12, 13

bookshelves: arc, for-review, cant-put-these-down, favourites
Read from February 09 to 10, 2013

Eleanor couldn't blend in the background no matter how hard she tries. Her defiant, fiery red hair and her mismatch of Goodwill clothes was like a red flag to a bull in the streets of Pamplona. So on her first day back from eviction, the kids in the school bus wouldn't even offer her a seat...except for the kid who defies all social dictates.

Park couldn't help giving up the empty seat to the girl dressed like a junk drawer. Growing up in a home of affectionate parents, he was raised to be kinder than most kids. So when the girl with the bright red hair and even brighter clothes starts becoming a permanent fixture on his commute to school, he went from grudging interest, to honest-to-goodness curiosity.

Comic books and music would be the bridge that brings these kids together.
Friendship, then love would keep them bonded.
But like any other love stories, theirs was not perfect.
Did they walk into the sunset hand-in-hand?
You'll have to read the book to find out.

I cannot wait until this book comes out. I just want to keep rereading it until I get my fill. I only had an epub so I had to suffer reading it off my computer. Let me tell you, despite the heartbreaking week I've had, Eleanor and Park was the only thing that helped me forget. I'm not saying the story is all about roses; it had moments of angst but not enough to add on to the real life angst I'm going through right now.

I've always been a fan of music in books. It's interesting to see how a certain song or a genre helps cultivate a character. This one has a doosie: eighties music, man. That's the bees' knees. It had me unearthing all of The Cure's albums from my time capsule. It's also the culture of the era that I'm fond of revisiting. And while Eleanor was not a trendsetter of the times, she has the je ne sais quoi attitude that tells everyone she couldn't care less.

Eleanor's and Park's upbringings couldn't be any different. Park's family life was stable; he's loved by both his parents and his brother. Eleanor was poor and living in a house with a violent stepfather and sharing a broom closet with her three other siblings. The only ray of light in her life was the half-Korean, half-Scottish boy who for some reason, actually liked her.

This book tackled a lot of issues pertinent to the times (and the present, as well). But in the end the story is still about the sweet, poignant romance between Eleanor and Park. Witty, charming and lovely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor and Park.

02/09/2013 page 91
28.0% "Teenage declarations of love: equal parts stupid, sweet, unfounded, but it's probably the most honest and pure way of doing so. Sigh. I love this book."
02/10/2013 page 204
63.0% "God. I should still be in bed since I've got another 12 hr work day ahead of me. Instead, my head is filled with these two."
02/10/2013 page 241
75.0% "Fuuuuuuu*************kkkkkk."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jayjay (new) - added it

Jayjay It's my first time hearing about this book and it's because of her newest book Fangirl. I'm thinking I should buy this book too!