Lisa's Reviews > Lasher

Lasher by Anne Rice

Apr 22, 09

bookshelves: 2009, family-business, gods-and-monsters, interesting-women, vamps-witches-wolves-oh-my
Recommended to Lisa by: Jade
Recommended for: Becky
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

Utterly mesmerising from start to finish (to the point that I actually took a day off work just to read it!), and brings yet more depth and complexity to the series than I previously thought possible.

The writing is absolutely spellbinding, and never more so than throughout the stories recounted by Julien and Lasher - both two characters whom I had previously thought of as unsympathetic, depraved and sinister, though seductive (when seen through the file on the witches compiled by the Talamasca in the first book). Through these stories my ideas of both of them changed completely - Julien suddenly became courageous, clever and all too human, whilst Lasher was an innocent monster. My ideas of the Talamasca went through a transformation too - no longer an institution of harmless old scholars but something altogether more mysterious and possibly dangerous.

Full of vivid characters (the two above, along with Emaleth and Mona in particular), a real sense of place and a boat-load of tension (I kept having to put the book down to catch my breath), I can't wait to read the final part of the trilogy.

I've definitely become a bit of an Anne Rice superfan, so thanks Jade for recommending!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lasher.

04/20/2009 page 200
04/22/2009 page 200
22.65% "Bloody fantastic (bloody being the operative word). Never thought I could like Julien but he's become easily my favourite character!"
04/22/2009 page 496
56.17% "Bloody fantastic (bloody being the operative word). Never thought I could like Julien but he's become easily my favourite character!"
show 1 hidden update…