Isis FG's Reviews > Criminally Handsome

Criminally Handsome by Cassie Miles

Sep 15, 09

bookshelves: series-kenner-county, 2009, info-full, reviewed, genre-romance-hq-intrigue, published-2009, stars-4
Recommended to Isis FG by: continuation of a series
Read in September, 2009

Fourth book in Harlequin Intrigue's "Kenner County Crime Unit" multi-author mini-series. I liked this one for the most part, though it wasn't perfect.

Criminally Handsome continues the tale of murder in the Four Corners area of Colorado where a female FBI agent was murdered and a mob boss on the run suspected for the death. Authorities in the area are also trying to find a missing woman, Aspen Meadows, whose car was found abandoned with her infant son inside.

Emma Richardson, Aspen's cousin, has taken over guardianship of the baby but refuses to believe her cousin is dead. Emma is a medium who can talk with the dead and everything they've been telling her leads her to believe Aspen is still out there somewhere. So Emma teams up with forensics expert Miguel Acevedo to track down leads arising from her visions. Unfortunately, their investigating brings a killer after Emma and Miguel becomes her bodyguard. Despite Miguel's initial distrust of her "gift," the two connect quickly and passion arises. But first they must figure out what Emma's visions are telling them.

Interesting addition to the series. It brings some paranormal into things but stills comes across as believable. I liked the sort of quirky, off-beat feel to the book. It gave the book a different vibe and added some variety compared to the other books. And I thought the storyline was interesting and fit well with all that was going on in the series.

I did think the romance was a little...hmm...I want to say "abrupt," but I'm not sure that's right. Maybe "forced" is better. There was just something about the passionate side of the relationship that lacked that sort of sweet fluidity and instead felt a bit forced. At least to me. But I did still enjoy both Miguel and Emma...even if Emma did have an utterly TSTL moment at the end of the book.

As for the whole issue of inconsistencies between books in this series. There was only one glaring mistake that I noticed. And that was Patrick and Bree being referred to as currently engaged...they got married in book 2!! Oops! That was the only major issue I noticed. Though I did find it bizarre that Emma and other minor characters in the book seemed to know nothing about the murder of Julie (the FBI agent) when it was previously mad out to be such a big thing that the media was all over and whatnot. They shouldn't have been so clueless.

So all around a fairly good book. I liked it almost as much as book 3 and I'm looking forward to book 5, which is about Miguel's twin brother Dylan and Aspen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Criminally Handsome.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Terrific review Isis! Great to see you back on GR again.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) It makes you wonder if the writers of these multi-author series ever have an econference or some sort to make sure they are on the same page.

message 3: by Rane (new)

Rane *LOL* That title makes me crack up everytime I read it.

Great Review Isis!

Isis FG Thanks!!

Danielle - it'd be interesting to know how they plan these things. Obviously they need a better way because some of the mistakes are bad.