Corey Murray's Reviews > I, Fatty

I, Fatty by Jerry Stahl

M_50x66
May 19, 09

Read in April, 2009

Everything about this book is colorful. The setting of 1920s Hollywood combined with Fatty's narrative voice make for a great read. A lot of silent film luminaries - Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Mabel Normand, Mack Sennett - put in appearances; but it's Fatty's voice that makes this book so irresistable. The voice is at once slick, sarcastic and self-depracating. We're listening to a man who's funny because that's all he knows how to be. And his clownish exterior hides a lot of dignity and pain.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I, Fatty.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Corey Murray This is a great book. It's a fictional autobiography of the silent film star Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle, whose immense popularity came to a screeching halt when he was accused of raping and murdering an actress named Virginia Rappe. Fatty was acquitted, but his career never fully recovered.