Janelle's Reviews > Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

1966166
May 30, 2009

bookshelves: 2009
Read in May, 2009

"All fear comes from trying to see the future, Biff. If you know what is coming, you aren't afraid."

On the surface, "Lamb" seems entirely and brazenly blasphemous. If I were a religious person, which, thankfully, I am not, I think I would have thrown this book in the trash upon reading the first chapter. However, wrapped within this fictionalized comic version of events are emotive messages and a deep and understanding respect for religion and belief.

I went through ten years of religious schooling in my childhood, so when I say that I am not a religious person I do not mean that I am without faith. I have studied my own religion as well as many others as part of my cultural studies degree program and have come to the conclusion that the version of organized faith one subscribes to must be entirely agreeable with your persona and ideas. If it isn't, keep searching until you find one that is. And if you never do, maybe you will find yourself somewhere in between a whole slew of different belief systems, which is where I am.

In "Lamb" Joshua and Biff are exposed to many different organized faiths and learn something from each one. They learn to block out pain from monks in China and that there are people out there who believe that sacrificing children to a statue will keep them safe and in line. They traverse the continent in search of the three wise men who witnessed Joshua's birth and encounter Yetis, black magic, poison, lepers - all the while healing and laughing as they go.

We all know the story of the Son of God... the last supper, the betrayal of Judas, the crucifixion... so I will not summarize it here. What I will say is that I have taken several things from this book, which surprised me very much as I only expected it to be a good laugh. In "Lamb," Moore gives the best description of the Holy Ghost that I have ever heard. I will even venture to admit that I never truly understood it until now. Also, I am reminded that faith is something that every person has, even if they don't express it in a religious way, and that is what ties all of humanity together. Faith in friendships and family, faith that someone will do the right thing, faith that you will persevere through life and come out on top; even if there are a bunch of dicks who want to nail you to a cross and watch you bleed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lamb.

04/24/2009 page 75
05/29/2009 page 444
100.0% "I have a new favorite Moore novel."
show 5 hidden updates…