Jess's Reviews > The Kult

The Kult by Shaun Jeffrey

2119409
Jun 02, 09

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, dark, horror, borrowed, genre-fiction
Read in May, 2009

This book has one of the best opening lines I have ever read. "People are predictable. That is what makes them easy to kill." From there the book takes several twists, turns leading to a surprising conclusion.

I will warn readers that this book was originally published in the UK and it was not 'translated' into American (car trunk = boot, kerb = curb etc.) but it does not hinder reading too much. I liked the structure of the chapters because it goes from a side-plot with the Oracle and sees it all the way through before switching to Prosper Snow's side of the story. It does not use the somewhat hackneyed technique of alternating chapters between protagonist and killer which was refreshing.

It is graphic in its detail however so this is not for the faint of heart or stomach. After all, it is about a twisted serial killer. At times I found certain parts to be a little clunky in the writing but it was not too noticeable or did it detract from my overall enjoyment. Rather, the flaws were somewhat refreshing since many writers are so 'polished' that most feel the same. It's nice to have a few imperfections but this book had enough to feel like a first novel.

I was annoyed because a back story of Prosper and his wife was never fully told. Who was driving? What happened afterward? All the characters know what happened but the reader can't? That bugged me. If the actual truth is in there, it was not clear to me. They also left their youthful antics incredibly vague. I really wanted more details of the aftermath of the incident they discussed.

Overall I enjoyed the book and am very glad I got an advanced copy but it had a lot of things going on with it that made it clear it was a first novel. I think Shaun Jeffrey will write many other enjoyable books in the future and will gain more finesse as he goes along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kult.

04/22/2009 "I am waiting to get The Kult so I can begin reading."
show 3 hidden updates…