Bill's Reviews > Shaman's Crossing

Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb

Dec 30, 2013

Read in April, 2009

As a kid growing up I loved fantasy books, so yes I was obviously a geeky kid growing up. I didn't quiet lose my love of the genre as I got older, but I did tire of its predilections for shoddy characters and an over reliance on dues ex machina.

Robin Hobb is one of the handful of fantasy writers that I have fully enjoyed even as an adult, her Farseer trilogy (and the follow on trilogy,) was second perhaps only to George R R Martin's current ongoing opus. (Yes, I know that the Wheel of Time series is arguably there as well, but it was not consistent enough.)

Beyond the fact that Hobb is the rare female writer in this genre, she has a knack for interesting protagonists. Invariably they are not only self-doubting but often fail at what they are trying to do, sometimes disastrously, lending an air of realism to the narrative.

Shaman's Crossing was not quiet a good as her previous efforts, but it definitely held my attention. I raced through its 600 pages in less than a week, that alone would place this book in a rare circle for me. At the very least I'll be interested in seeing where this series is headed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shaman's Crossing.