Rebecca's Reviews > Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting

Fresh Food from Small Spaces by R.J. Ruppenthal

Apr 18, 09

bookshelves: food
Read in April, 2009

Keeping Bees? Worm bins? Chickens? Gardening on concrete? starting seeds, fermenting foods, and sprouting? Doesn't this sound AWESOME??
But one catch. It's not clear that the author has actually done all of these things-- some of them he hasn't at all-- bees, for example. He just thinks it's neat, and that other people SHOULD do it. You know, if they can find a book or something to tell them how. Some OTHER book.

Some of the chapters are useful-- the how tos for the worm bin and the concrete composting are great, and so is the extensive list of fruits that can be grown in limited space. And I was very inspired by the section on sprouts and fermentation.

But... this book seems like it was probably somebody's pretty good blog. Blogs are fine listing links to other sites and listing products they haven't tried. But books? This book relies too much on, "go check out *blankety blank* website for more." Ugh, no. I don't want to go somewhere else-- I want the information here!
So my initial "Table of Contents" enthusiasm cooled once I read all the goodbits (about 20 pages total) and still had 200 pages of hear-say and filler.

Review from 30 pages in:
Very good summary of lots of resources and how-to projects including the first comprehensible explanation of self-watering container building I've seen. Also worms, chickens, composting, bees, managing pests, dealing with limited light and very limited space. Inspiring in its project to encourage even urban-dwellers to use their smidgen of light and space to grow edibles.
My only criticism is that the layout is very unattractive! Huge dense blocks of texts, no bullets or lists or callouts. Ugh, takes work to read.
But full of good information so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fresh Food from Small Spaces.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betty (new)

Betty I love reading your reviews of the books that you read. I have some edibles on my front porch now, thanks to Annie and Kj and Soren: tomatoes and strawberries. Isn't that exciting. I accidentally grew pumpkins a few years ago that were "volunteers" as my dad used to call them. A pumpkin seed from one of the jack o'lanterns on my porch at Halloween made its way into the soil and we had about 8 big pumpkins that grew in that space between the wall and the house (that you and Matt rescued one year)