Laura's Reviews > Christine Falls

Apr 16, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery, historical-fiction
Read in April, 2009

This is a very strange book to review. On the one hand, I stayed up late and got up early to keep reading it, on the other hand, when it was over I felt like I had just read the mental equivalent of one of those buttery flavored rice cakes: it tastes pretty good and you forget it's basically made out of air but thirty minutes later you don't remember having eaten it and you're still hungry. And while I have nothing against what some people call "beach" reads (because I usually think in terms of food I think of them as "popcorn"), this book doesn't fall into that category: the quality of the writing is too high and the general atmosphere too bleak to qualify.

I think the biggest hook for me, and the reason I kept reading it, is that the author creates a wonderful sense of place. I wish I had the book here to quote from (it had to go back to the library), but the place and the time really came alive for me. Unfortunately, in the end the characters didn't manage to do the same and it was a bit like reading a very well written travelogue. I picked up the second book, The Silver Swan, while I was at the library, but I can honestly say I have no interest in finding out what happened to any of the characters - in some cases I was glad to leave them behind - and I put it back on the shelf and left without it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christine Falls.

04/16/2009 page 123