Kathryn's Reviews > Cages

Mar 12, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: graphic-novel-manga
Read from March 08 to 12, 2011

I feel as though I may be lynched for disliking this book. I love graphic novels and Dave McKean's vision and style yet this work lacks all but a slight cohesiveness and completely failed to elicit any type of emotional reaction from me. I felt not a single connection to any of the characters. Since the characters sharing an apartment and how they interact is the entire point of the book, I barely feel justified rating 2 stars. I am doing so only because of that vision and style I mentioned before.

The characters truly stomped on my nerves. The ones with too much dialogue needed less and vice versa. There were moments when I thought the story was going to evolve into something more but every time my hopes were dashed. A part I remember being in awe of was the scaffolding towards the beginning, such a wonderful example of McKean's talent.

I can only recommend flipping through the book to appreciate McKean's art but an understanding of the story is rarely needed to achieve that appreciation. This book is overrated.
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cages.

03/26 marked as: read

Kathryn This thing is huge! And heavy! How did I miss the page count?

message 2: by Thomas (new) - added it

Thomas Olivent I couldn't even finish it, so props to you for doing that at least.