Mommywest's Reviews > Reflections of Emma: Joseph Smith's Wife

Reflections of Emma by Buddy Youngreen

Nov 12, 09

Read in August, 2009

This was written by a man who is an expert on the Smiths, Buddy Youngreen. He has been one of the major forces in helping the different parts of the Smith family reconcile and have better relationships with each other and with the LDS Church. The reunions he has organized, along with others, have helped Joseph Smith's descendants come to know each other and the man they are related to. I thought it would be interesting to read this book he wrote because he has had access to sources held by grandchildren of Emma and other important descendants because of his amazing relationship with them.

The book is divided into sections; one that tells the story of Emma, and then a section that has pictures of Joseph and Emma, their children, and their descendants, as well as the notes one of their granddaughters took in interviews with Emma and others.

The first portion is so well-written, and really helps us to understand Emma's thoughts and motivations, but I was never clear if some of the things Brother Youngreen wrote in the first portion were based on research, or was speculation. No footnotes are provided in this portion. Nevertheless, it was very interesting and thought-provoking.

The second portion is edited very carefully so that we can understand it better, as the notes were taken in a very abbreviated form. Brother Youngreen further includes copious notes that explain places, clarify meaning, provide more information, and so forth. This part of the book is the hardest to get through, as the reader must spend much time flipping back and forth from the notebook entries to the footnotes in the back. But I did learn a lot. Some information is repeated several times, as Emma and others remembered similar things. It was very interesting to see pictures of Joseph and Emma and their family.

Overall, this book was interesting to read and taught me more about Emma Smith, Joseph, and their family than any I've read so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reflections of Emma.