Susan's Reviews > Night Game

Night Game by Christine Feehan

I have just finished Night Game, book 3 in Christine Feehan's Ghostwalker series, and it was so good! The story is centered around Ghostwalker Raoul "Gator" Fontenot, as he searches the bayou for a missing local singer, and on a side mission, a female Ghostwalker named Iris "Flame" Johnson.

Flame is another of the girls Peter Whitney bought when they were babies to conduct his illegal and immoral psychic experiments. Although Whitney's experiments gave Flame superior physical strength and hearing, her enhancement comes at a terrible cost. When she was a child, Whitney deliberately infected Flame with cancer in order to use her as a human lab rat in his quest for a cure. Genetically enhanced without her consent, Flame is a ticking time bomb who would rather die than be back under Whitney's thumb.

Night Game is my favorite of the Ghostwalker series so far. The action is non-stop, and the intrigue regarding Whitney will make for even more wonderful Ghostwalker stories in the future. Night Game takes the Ghostwalker series to new emotional heights introducing pregnancy and cancer issues into the group. The twists and turns in the story left me crying like a baby several times.

Gator and Flame were strong and multi-faceted characters, both brilliant and independent and at the same time, complementary to each other. The chemistry between them was explosive and simply incredible. I always love reading about the other Ghostwalkers - in this case Ry and Lilly, Nico and Dahlia, Ian, Tucker, and Kaydan - but I also loved Gator's family. Wyatt, one of Gator's younger brothers, could have his own book, despite the fact that he is not Special Forces/psychic. And Nonny, Gator's grandmother - there's a good old Southern spitfire if I ever saw one!

The setting of the Louisiana bayou was amazingly realistic, and I felt like I was right there in the muck and the mud with the characters. The pace of the story is excellent, and it contains a good balance of action, romance, and intrigue, and all of the elements that make for a captivating read.

This series just gets better and better the more I read. The character development throughout the series makes the reader feel as though she actually knows them. I can't wait to pick up book 4 and continue on with the Ghostwalkers journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Game.

05/15/2009 page 104