Hilary's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Feb 07, 13

Read from February 04 to 07, 2013

I felt this book did not live up to its potential and I attribute this mainly to the poor writing involved with the main character, Grace. She was so horribly characterized that she came off as a sort of bland sociopath who didn't care for or about others beyond serving her own purposes, but also a wasn't willing to act on her coldness, making for a quite boring book in my honest opinion. The author did try very hard to make Grace appear completely ambivalent in regards to all situations that required her to take a side, and this was a massive mistake. Life Boat would have 10x more compelling if Grace had had an actual spine but she didn't. She was just a simpering, self-involved bore .. I think the premise should have revolved around secondary character Hannah, who was much more layered and complex. I love survival fiction and am often disappointed in the lack of novels that focus on situations similar to the one presented here in Life Boat, so was looking forward to reading this. While I won't go as far as to say this was a waste of money it's hardly a novel I would highly recommend.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.