Andrew's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House

The Sandman, Vol. 2 by Neil Gaiman

Aug 29, 07

Recommended for: Everyone
Read in January, 2004

I used to stubbornly think that graphic novels had no intellectual merits other than for amateur entertainment (I know, pedestal). This series not only blew me away visually, but caused me to see graphic novels in a new light. Everyone should read this series.

Here's what i want to say, but someone else said it first and better than i could:
"Erudite, allusive, complex and ambitious, SANDMAN is undoubtedly the finest writing the mainstream comic book industry has ever seen. It dares to tell the story of Morpheus, also known as Dream, the Prince of Stories, one of the seven Endless who are not gods, because gods die when men stop believeing in them. The Endless are older and larger than gods. Creating his own mythology, Gaiman incorporates all past mythology into his own - some specifically and explicitly, the rest by implication."

You don't even need to read them in order! (Although I did) I refuse to let anyone borrow and potentially destroy my copies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 2.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Coleen i soooo agree with you! love SANDMAN to bits.

message 2: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn I, too, have had to rethink my earlier prejudices against the medium. No comic book this. Intelligent, provocative and well crafted, I'll no doubt read the entire series.

Amber Davis well said!

Guilherme The Sandman series and watchmen are incredible!