Rick's Reviews > The Dreaming Void

The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton

Apr 15, 09

Read in April, 2009

I'm about 100 pages in and probably will not finish. Others have summarized the book well, but for me the sticking point isn't the wholesale tossing of science just because Hamilton wants to have a new toy.

It's that people in this fantastic world where they live for centuries and have access to all kinds of amazing technologies want to move to a Void where the world is like medieval Europe, complete with bandits. Perhaps it's explained later, but it's simply not plausible that people in the 36th century would see the Void as paradise. Hamilton tells us they do... but he does nothing to make us believe it. A lot of the book has this kind of flow - for example there seems to ba a section of humanity that describes itself as part of the Higher culture and at one point a minor character joins them. Now, Higher people have the best, most amazing tech and are the aristocracy of the Commonwealth... so if you can just up and join, why doesn't everyone? Perhaps all of this is known if you read Pandora's Star or Judas... but this isn't billed as part of that duology. For the first book in a trilogy there's simply not a lot of detial and rather poor worldbuilding here.

All of this, but especially the implausibility of 36th centutry humans seeing a bandit-ridden medieval world as Paradise is just too much for me. Not recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dreaming Void.