Mary JL's Reviews > Misery

F 50x66
Jun 20, 10

bookshelves: mystery-horror
Recommended to Mary JL by: Fan of author
Recommended for: any horror OR mystery fan
Read in January, 1999, read count: 3

You may have seen the movie or you at least know the story. So, you think, why read it? Well, first the book differs somewhat from the move and goes into more depth. Since there are only really two major characers, Anne Wilkes and Paul Sheldon, her captive writer, King can delve into their characters at length--and he does.

I personally feel this is one of Stepehn King's strongest books. I particulary find it horrifying because it is a bit more possible that some of his books. I don't really believee in vampires or haunted cars--but I do believe in pyschotic, dangerous people like Anne Wilkes--the newspapers are full of such unbalanced persons.

31 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misery.

Jackie Misery was one of my favorites by King and it was much better than the movie. I enjoyed the added bonus of getting the Misery Chastain story fully.

Mary JL Jackie: I almost always find the book better than the movie. That is true in this case.

However, I have to admit that the casting of Kathy Bates as Anne Wilkes was well dome. She made a great psychotic!

Jackie Same for me, books are always better.
That role made Kathy Bates' career.

Michael One of King's favorite themes and subjects is the examination of being a writer. This one came at a time in his career when he also wrote the Dark Half about a pseudonym come to life after the real world author "killed" him off.

I vividly recall reading this in paperback with a sense of dread and terror, but yet I couldn't stop turning the pages. One of his true classics and yes, the book is better. The movie is good but the book has the limitless budget of my imagination.

Kimberly I totally agree with you.

message 6: by Jrosenberg (new)

Jrosenberg not 4 5

Manuel Cervera Movie really sucks

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Noyes-ward Does the movie suck? lol