Callista 's Reviews > The Last Command

The Last Command by Timothy Zahn

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: star-wars, four-star-novels
Read in June, 1996

It's been too long for me to identify specific events in each of the three volumes, but I thought I'd post a general review of the trilogy.
My favourite thing about the trilogy is Talon Karrde. While he's an opportunist and a bit of a scoundrel, he does have a sense of right and wrong. He's definitely a useful ally. And I thought his taste for the finer things, his pet vornskrs, and his penchant for puns were cute.
Admiral Thrawn is probably the best villain of the entire Star Wars cycle. He's absolutely brilliant, usually one or two steps ahead of his prey and enemies. Several times I was totally at a loss trying to figure out how Han and Luke and company would ever survive the game. He's also urbane; and I liked how he collected the artwork of different species because of what it told him about their cultures.
And then there's Mara Jade. She's scary at times, but her inner conflict blunts her purpose. It might not be completely logical or realistic for someone who spent years as the Emperor's Hand, his private assassin, to change sides; but I like that she has good in her, and without the Emperor jerking her around, she chooses to change.
These books are some of the most entertaining in the Star Wars Extended Universe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Command.