Elizabeth's Reviews > The Anti 9-to-5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube

The Anti 9-to-5 Guide by Michelle Goodman

Apr 15, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction, academic-professional
Recommended for: Erin M., Kasia H., Tina P., any of my fantastic ladyfriends
Read in May, 2009

I've read a couple of books of this type in the last year - and this is by far the best. Equal part intensely practical and fun to read, [ author: Michelle Goodman] has done a great job of presenting what life is and can be like outside the cube. Each chapter contains an action plan in three or more steps, with measurable goals and action items that can be checked off - good if you're that sort of girl. What I think I appreciated the most was that she was honest about how hard it is or can be to get outside the normal 9-5 working model. She says it's not the end of the world if you need to go back to the 9-to-5, or if other types of work arrangements don't work for you. After reading way too many the [say it in a weird voice, like you're talking about unicorns:] 'follow your dreams' type books, this was a breath of fresh air, and one that I'll probably pick up once I return my well-thumbed library copy.

Recommended for anyone dissatisfied with their current gig who might be wondering about what life might be like in another type of job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anti 9-to-5 Guide.