Angela's Reviews > Life with Pop: Lessons on Caring for an Aging Parent

Life with Pop by Janis Abrahms Spring

May 08, 09

bookshelves: books-i-own, bios-memoirs, non-fiction, self-help
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

This is a profound and sensitive book that explores a serious cultural issue of our day. More and more adults are facing the challenge of not only saying goodbye to their parents, but making their goodbyes over a drawn-out period of exhausting caretaking. The story and lessons Dr. Spring shares are told in a personal and realistic way - at times, I felt she was even too personal, too realistic. As I progressed through the pages, however, I realized that, rather than being a draw-back of the writing, the sometimes stark narrative was actually making her feelings more real to me. The personal, awkward moments she shared were tastefully related - never shocking or grotesque... just very real.

This is not a journey I have personally traveled yet, but my mother & aunt are facing this situation in their own lives right now. Still, I learned many important things from this book - things that have benefited seemingly unrelated issues in my own life, and things I have been able to share with my mother in the challenge she is dealing with. I am very glad to have read it, and highly recommend it to adult readers of all backgrounds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life with Pop.