Lori's Reviews > My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler

Nov 20, 07

bookshelves: 2007november
Read in November, 2007

If you've ever winced at Girls Behaving Badly, this is so not the book for you.

In fact, if you've ever blushed at a tampon commercial, thought the only details women share about their lives are the hearts-and-flowers kind or ever, ever used the acronym "TMI," you'll hate it.

I didn't. But I didn't love it, either. And the funny thing is, I think I would've liked it more if it hadn't been labeled "memoir." It was "/humor," too, and that part, I believed in.

I'm not of the memoirs-must-be-written-as-news-stories persuasion. I get that most people don't take notes on their lives, noting the actual quotes and paraphrases as they go along. But from Chapter 1, in which 7-year-old Chelsea speaks with the diction of an Ivy League grad and the street knowledge of a 40-year-old hooker, I had problems buying into this memoir idea.

I felt a little better when I thought of each chapter as a stand-up routine. Chelsea is in your face, taking (I assume) one small incident and building up an entire story around it. I'm good with that. I was a tad surprised by her, um, candor (to put it delicately) here and there. And Ashley is right -- it's a little weird that she (one of my students) loaned it to me. On some strange level, we're now closer, both having read the same cringe-worthy tales.

If you've ever thought you had the world's worst one-night-stand story or the cheesiest boyfriend, Chelsea will one up you. And then, if she's in the right mood, go down on you, too.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Horizontal Life.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Jill is she the one with the late-night E! show?

Rachel If it makes you feel any better, it's in the "humor" section at the book store I work at!